Complete Jamaica Electricity & Outlet Adapter Shape Info

7/17/2017 - Optimized for Firefox 54.0.1

COPYRIGHT 1992 thru 2017 - David R. Woodsmall

I created these websites ONLY to provide free information to help other people

I am NOT a business of any kind, and make NO money providing this information

There is NOTHING for sale here - Feel free to link to any of my web pages

NOT responsible for Errors, Omissions, out-of-date Data, or ANYTHING else


Adapters | Clocks | Motors | Frequency | RELATED Info | SURGE SUPPRESSORs | Voltage| Will my device run on Jamaican electricity?|


Jamaica uses the same two outlet shapes as does the USA - Type A and Type B, so USA appliances can plug in and be used in Jamaica. The only possible problem (could happen here in the USA as well) is that you could bring a piece of electronics that requires a three-prong outlet (type "B") and you may have only a two prong (ungrounded, type "A" outlet in your room). I don't think this will happen but any store in the USA that sells any electronics (Lowes, Home Depot, Radio Shack, hardwqare store, Sears,...)will probably be able to sell you a "grounding adapter" for under One Dollar. I doubt you would ever need one, but I always take one.

VOLTAGE used in Jamaica

Jamaica uses 110 VAC at 50 Hz (frequency). The USA uses 110-125 VAC at 60 Hz Jamaica (and most of the non-USA world) uses 50 Hz rather than 60 Hz used in the USA.


This means that any USA motor you plug in, will run more slowly, but they will still run.

CLOCKS - USA Clocks in Jamaica

If you were to bring a cheap, plug in clock from the USA, it would lose time (unless it really ran off a battery). It would run at 5/6 ths it's normal speed.


Converters can usually either step voltages from 120 to 240 or vice-versa

Converters can not handle large current loads

You will need a transformer to handle large current / wattages

For 240 VAC appliances to be run on 110-125 VAC, you will need a Step UP Transformer OR a step-up Voltage Converter. Voltage Converters convert one voltage to another voltage, for example, 110 VAC to 120 VAC to 240 VAC, electronically (they use electronic parts to accomplish the voltage change). Most converters can convert a voltage either UP or DOWN (but you need to check). Voltage Converters can handle small current loads (usually 50 WATTs or less), while for over 50 WATTS, appliances that need high current (heavy-duty hair dryers), or that require a more stable voltage (doesn't fluctate as much), you should use a step-down transformer (they are heavy, and contain magnets, just do you know). Voltage converts convert one voltage to another voltage, for example, 110 VAC to 220 VAC. Voltage Converters -


Step up transformers can convert jamaica's 110 VAC to 220-240 VAC

If you are trying to run your 220-250 VAC piece of electronics in a country that uses a lower voltage, between 110-125 VAC, you MAY need what is called a STEP-UP TRANSFORMER. A Step-up transformer converts the lower voltage of a countries electrical wall outlet into the higher (220-250 VAC) voltage needed by your electric appliance. A lot of electric devices made these days, are what is called dual-voltage - they can run on either 110-125 VAC or 220-250 VAC. In fact, many of these devices will automatically switch to the correct voltage. NOTE that some dual-voltage devices REQUIRE you to manually change a setting on a switch before you can use the other voltage - be careful here, as you can damage you electric appliance by running it at the wrong voltage.


Many countries do not have a very stable power supply - therefore you could get power surges, spikes, brownouts or EMI interference sent to any electrical device that you plug into their outlets. If you have sensitive electronics such as a computer, you may wish to invest in a surge protector that could be used in whichever foreign country you are visiting. I believe that any surge protector made for use in the USA would would work in Jamaica, as long as you had a grounded (type "B" - three prong) outlet. For more information about SURGE PROTECTORS click HERE

WILL IT (my appliance) RUN IN JAMAICA?

Any USA and Canadian appliance should work just fine in Jamaica except most plugin clocks. Some Carribean countries use the USA outlet shapes, supply 115 VAC, but at 50 HZ. Cayman Islands uses 110 VAC at 60 Hz. Of course, other carribean countries use 220 VAC - so always check, For most of the rest of the world, that typically uses 220-250 VAC at 50 Hz, You will need: 1] A socket / outlet shape apapter - to change the shape of the plug 2] Possibly a step-UP transformer ONLY IF your appliance does NOT say it is dual voltage or list the voltage range as 110-120 VAC and 220-240 VAC. (you are trying to run a 220 VAC gadget on 110 VAC - hence STEP-UP) Almost all battery chargers, these days, are dual voltage. Many newer products will run on either 110-125 VAC or 220-250 VAC (dual voltage). New products usually will switch voltage ranges automatically. BE CAREFUL, as some older stuff requires you to MANUALLY change a switch to change from one voltage to the other.


  • Complete Insect Repellent & Insecticide Information
  • Malaria Information
  • Mosquitoes
  • Complete SUNGLASSES - What they SHOULD do for you, but probably DON'T
  • Complete SUNSCREEN Information, WARNINGS, Ingredients, Products & Resources
  • TICKS - Complete TICK Information
  • Tick BITES |
  • HEV = (Blue Light) 400-500 nm (longer than UVA) - may cause Macular Degeneration
  • UV400 (blocks UVA, UVB and UVC = 100 nm to 400 nm, but NOT HEC)
  • UVA
  • UVB
  • UVC


    I am NOT Responsible for any Errors - Use at your own risk