RPM Packages on SuSE and Red Hat
Red Hat is slightly different from SuSE
To Install all of the RPM Packages Manually - SuSE1) Log in as root.
2) CD to the directory wherein you have saved the packages to be installed.
For example: cd /tmp/updates
3) Optionally Turn off the NetWork if you don't want other users on while you update
4) rpm -Uvh *
(-U = removes the currently installed package, if it exists - same as Red Hat
v =Verifies installed or selected package or package - same as Red Hat)
NOTE: "-h" is not a valid option for Red Hat RPM.
If an older package is found, RPM will upgrade it, otherwise it will install
the new package.
rpm will go through all of the packages and install them.
Use YaST To Install the RPM Packages Automatically - SuSE
1) Run YaST, choosing Chose/Install packages
2) Choose Install Packages
3) Tell YaST from where to get your packages.
At the Source: (None) field, press Enter to get a list of the
installation sources YaST can use.
4) Choose Directory, and type in the path to the directory that contains
your new RPMs, which in this case is /tmp/updates.
YaST will load the names of all of the RPMs it finds in that directory.
5) To install an RPM, simply mark an "X" next to its name, using the spacebar.
6) press F10 to start installing the RPMs.
Querying (checking) to See What Packages are Installed - SuSE1) rmp -q -a -i
NOTE: This will produce a lot of output, so pipe it through some
filter or into a specified file.
Listing Package Changes - SuSE
rpm --changelog -qp .rpm
To Install all of the RPM Packages Manually - Red Hat rpm -ihv *.rpm
Querying (checking) to See What Packages are Installed - Red Hat1) rpm -qa
See also: Using TAR Updates in the lab
- Acronyms / Glossary
- Woodsmall's Recommended Technical Books
- Bioinformatics / Pharma Information and Terms
- BUGS / RECALLS / SCAMS,... Page
- Buses & Networks, other
- Connectors, Pinouts & Wiring Info
- DATABASE Info
- Digital - DVD, Music, Photography, Printers, Recording, Video
- Encryption, Compression, RFID, Smart Cards, AI, & Fuzzy Logic
- Ethernet, 802.11x, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, isoEthernet
- Fibre Channel
- GRAPHICS INFO
- Hoaxes |
- Home Security & Maintenance |
- HOTEL/MOTEL INFO
- HOUSE & TAX INFO
- IP, IPsec, IPv4, IPv6, FCIP, iFCP, PPP, SoIP, TCP, TCP/IP, TOE, VoIP
- LEGACY computer LANGUAGES / Architectures
- Network, Buses, USB & Communications Info
- NEWS LINKS
- NEWS - Current Technical
- NORTH CAROLINA INFO
- PERSONAL: airlines, airports, cars, discount, tires, Financial, Fix-it, Movies, ETC **
- Pharma / Bioinformatics
- Programming, Agile, C, C++, Design, Algorithms, Patterns, OO, Refactoring, ADO
- Recommended Computer Security Steps
- References - Other, Postage, Converters, Dictionaries, Languages
- SAN / NAS / SATA / Storage / CIM / Device Discovery
- SCSI / iSCSI / RAID / SAS / SMI-S
- Secure Connections
- Security, Computer
- Technical, Mostly Computer, Info
- TIME, TIME ZONE INFO
- TOOLS (power, hand, wood)
- TRAFFIC **
- TRAVEL INFO
- Virus Info
- WEATHER & TIME INFO
- Complete Web Development
- Windows Tips
- Wireless / PDA / Handhelds
- XP Info
- David Woodsmall - Main Web page